History of Albany
Source: History of Livingston Parish,
Louisiana, Vol. 1 by Lucille and Guy Denham, 1986.
The Village of Albany came into existence
when the Illinois Central Railroad built tracks through
the site 1908 to
connect Hammond to Baton Rouge. The first documented use of the name
"Albany" is regard to the community occurred on February 21, 1908, when the
announced the names of stations on their new lines...It has been
determined that the origin
of the name "Albany" was derived from the Little Natalbany river, which is the eastern boundary
of present day
Albany...Albany was created as a crossroads community where the east-west
railroad interceded the old north-south road which dates back to
1806...After the turn of the
century, Albany became the center of large
truck farming region...The principle crop was
strawberries, and many crates
were shipped north by refrigerated express cars. The public
high school was
established in 1924 with an enrollment between five and eight students. The
first graduating class of 1927 consisted of six graduates. The present
enrollment is 515 with an
average graduating class of 100.
Warren Doyle Landry was the first
principal, who became principal at age 19.
The first class motto was: Tonight we
launch, where shall we anchor.
The first class colors: Green and white
The first class flowers: White rose and
A new campus was built in 1986 allowing for
the separation of the high school from the junior
high and elementary.
1930 Football at AHS
Back in 1930 most schools in this area
began in July because of the strawberry season. Just
about every person able
had to help with the berries to make a living because times were
really tough. AHS consisted of approximately 70-80 students during the '30's.
in September basically the same as it does today. Mr.
Byron Hutchinson, a former
football player, began teaching in
Albany this year. The students approached him and
him to start a
football team. Mr. Hutchinson was glad to accept their offer and told them
needed at least 12-14 players to field an 11-man team. The players were
willing and able,
the next chore was to acquire uniforms for them. Mr.
Freddie Scott, school board member,
agreed to give a contract to the
football team which allowed them to cut, stack and transport
wood to the
school site which would be used for heating in the cold of winter. Mr. Perry
a school bus driver, helped the team by hauling the wood. The money
raised from selling the
wood paid the down payment on the first uniforms
ever to be worn by an AHS football team.
The 1930 team played 4 games and
lost them all; however, the 1931 team pulled out a winning
1930 Football Roster
Head Coach: Byron Hutchinson
Asst. Coach: Rex Wilkinson
Principal: Ross Williams
Louis George, end
Bunny Hess, fullback/kicker
Woodrow Hutchinson, tackle
Winston George, tackle
Lesley Stewart, guard
Alex Berry, guard
George Hill, center/kicker
Raymond Hess, quarterback